F SeamsLikeMagik.com: And then it started snowing

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

And then it started snowing

COME VISIT US AT ONE OF OUR UPCOMING EVENTS!

MAY 2007
5/5-6 Seams Like Magik Open House in Ritzville, 10 AM – 4 PM each day. Stop by and chat! Have a bite to eat, I am doing Cinco themed snacks. Come around back to the shop building and keep me from talking to myself!
5/25-27 Conduit, Science Fiction Convention, Salt Lake City, Utah. http://conduit.sfcon.org/
JUNE 2007
6/12-17 Uprising War, Society for Creative Anachronism, Barony of One Thousand Eyes,Firth, Idaho http://uprisingwar.org/
6/29-7/1 Ye Merry Greenwood Faire, Richland, Washington. http://home.comcast.net/~greenwood_players/index.htm
JULY 2007
7/14 Ritzville Blues Festival, Ritzville, Washington

April was ummmm hectic/schizo/busy. We started the month with the cloning of Seams Like Magik at Norwescon and SakuraCon. We all survived and some fun was had. I totally forgot to take photos, but hey, you can't have everything. The staff shared some great meals, some great confusion and we all survived.

I can never say thank you often enough, but in my mind there is no doubt Seams Like Magik could not flourish without help from friends and family. Kaia and Tim, Thea, Lizz, Terri, Sue and John, Thread Girl (aka Jessica), Dee - you all made it possible to be in two places at once and I think you are all still speaking to me. You've helped me before and you are wonderful!!! Thank you. Many others have helped other weekends and I couldn't do it without all of you.

Back in Ritzville, I finished up some fabulous wedding garments. The fabrics are sumptuous and the trims and embellishments set it all off! Bride, groom, groomsmen and bridesmaids - there is a whole lot of thread here!

I am pretty sure I slept sometime before I hit the road again. 400 miles from home I realized - no clothes racks. Costumes - check, mirror - check, tool kit - check, corset samples - check, laptop - check, racks - back in the shop. So I made a quick stop at my Denver supply house, bought three new racks and proceeded on. Starfest had Leonard Nimoy as a guest this year and the crowds proved he is not forgotten. The booth was busy but I had lunches with friends and slept as needed. Traded Firefly quotes with some Browncoats and picked up a quark t-shirt. Oooooh and I was the happy receiver/participant of some most excellent hugs. mmmm, gotta love it.


Did I mention I was in Denver? And do you remember what happens in Denver? Yup, as I loaded up to head north, it started snowing. Big fat heavy flakes, low visibility and wind. Ironically, by the time I hit the Montana border, I was north of the storm and it was clear and sunny. Montana was green and .... well, warmer than the last time I was there. Visited some college buddies (started to say old college buddies but none of us is completely happy about that tag), lunched with my Grandma, visited with more family and cruised scenes of ... uh ... old times. Some say I had a misspent youth, but then there is the other adage about not letting opportunity pass you by! And Carl promised not to tell too many people.

In Bozeman, I happened across a wonderful shop with cottons from the 1700's-1950's. Reproduction Fabrics, look for their web site, they have some really fabulous patterns in quality fabrics. They are right next door to the Yarn Shop with weaving and handwork supplies. And.... next door to a mineral/rock shop that had the most cunning stone mortar and pestle. It followed me home to be used for grinding fresh spices and currently sits next to its older sibling, the herb smusher. Rounded off my trip home with the obligatory stop at Wheat Montana for yummy bread and lunch in Missoula. What a wonderfully leisurely week.

More news later - must get ready for the Open House. Cooking, unpacking inventory, rugs on the floor, you know the drill.